Wednesday, October 28, 2009

NAMI - Boise Walk October 3, 2009

This year I volunteered at the NAMI - Boise Walk. It was two weeks before mom's memorial and this is one way that I felt that I could honor her memory. I am actually hoping that our family will all be able to walk at different NAMI events over the next year.

I helped greet participants and direct them to the right lines for registering and signing in. As much as I really wanted to just sleep in that morning I got up and headed out the door and for once I remembered my camera. So I thought that since a picture is worth a 1000 words I would just post some of the pictures I took at the walk. I took over 100 pictures but here are a couple of my favorites.


The Start and Finish Line before everyone arrived:


From Nami Walk 2009


t-shirts for volunteers

From Nami Walk 2009


Signs patiently waiting for their walkers.

From Nami Walk 2009


The Idaho Steelheads were there to start the walk off right...

From Nami Walk 2009


...and high-five the walkers as they finished.
From Nami Walk 2009


A couple of cuties that were out enjoying the day.

From Nami Walk 2009


I really enjoyed being out there for this walk and look forward to finding more ways I can help NAMI. I talked to a couple of other volunteers and they were all volunteering because a member of their family had mental illness. If I had thought about it that day I would have interviewed a couple of the walkers but at the time I hadn't decided on my research essay.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I haven't gotten to the right post yet, but what's NAMI? I'm starting to figure it out, but this post didn't tell me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I missed this comment all those years ago. NAMI is the National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.nami.org/

      Delete