Monday, October 26, 2009

Papa Ray

Before my mother passed my most recent experience with a loss in the family was my Papa Ray. He passed away in May 2007. Between him and my mom they are the only reason that some members of that family were still communicating. My grandmother is the last true link that would cause the siblings to have a conversation. I have a feeling that most of those conversations aren't going to be to civil if past experience is anything to go by.

Here is a picture of one of the men that I am proud to call Papa (grandpa).

From I was I am I will be


As I was driving over to Oregon to see him the last time by way of Salt Lake City I took this picture at Shoshone Falls. He was in hospice at that point and we pretty much knew it was down to hours/days. It was actually a nice experience (at least as nice as death can be) for me since even though Papa was in a coma when I say him I was able to curl up next to him (he chose to be at home in his own bed) and talk to him and tell him about my life and daughter. This was one of the times that I regretted living so far away. Not that a 8-9 hour drive is insurmountable but you do forget that the people that you love wont always be there.

When I got home and started looking through some of the pictures this one really comforted me. When I found the quote it was exactly what the picture called for.


From I was I am I will be

1 comment: