Friday, June 4, 2010

Never judge a book by its cover... part 1

Never judge a book by its cover. Now however, maybe that should be never judge a book by its publisher. With so many authors choosing to go the independent publishing route our available reading material seems to have grown exponentially in the last year.

While I do believe that quite a few of the self published works out there are more of the vanity publishing style, as in no one but family and friends would willing read them. There are several really great authors that got their start through writing online fan-fiction. Some have been picked up by publishing houses (I was going to say real publishers but that doesn't apply anymore).

I have piles upon piles and boxes upon boxes of books. I know this because I have just finished packing everything up for a move. Out of the hundreds (thousands) of books that I own I could only find one small box of books (30-40) that I was willing to donate to one of the local charities. All of those physical books don't include the audio books on my computer or all the fan-fiction stories that I have read over the last twenty years.

When you walk into your local bookstore what draws your eye to a book? Is it the bright colors of background and title? The image on the front? Is it knowing which author you are looking for? Or is it a recommendation from the bookseller behind the counter?

With all the online purchases of books that are made how do we get those recommendations now? How do we find that new author? You know what I mean...that author that isn't part of Oprah's book club or some other celebrity endorsement.

The publishing houses have many ways of promoting their authors (and more funds than most independent authors). One way is to review the works of these authors on blogs (but who knows which blogs to go to for this? I hope that mine makes that blog list as it ages.) The main way is for us as readers to take a few minutes out of our day and post reviews on the online bookstores sites.

If you loved a book let other people know by recommending it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Borders websites. Yes I know there are other re-sellers but these seem to be the main three.

I am grateful to Zoe Winters for her guest blog post this last month and look forward to many more guest blogs from other independent authors. If you are an author willing to do a guest blog for our site please let us know. The only requirement is that each blog start with the following three sentences.

I was.......
I am........
I will be...


So in keeping with that here is my own for today (it changes regularly)...

I was a drone (playing tetris) in the electronics industry.
I am a full-time student and mother.
I will be me (whoever that ends up being as I grow in my own mind).

I got a little sidetracked so I will post more thoughts on book covers and independent publishers next week.

Good Books, Good Wine, Good Friends What Could be Better.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me! What kind of fanfic did you read? I was a fan of the Spuffy (Buffy/Spike).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still read some of the Buffy/Spike fanfic. Some of my favorite authors were/are SaberShadowKitten, Richess, Nautibitz, and maryperk. I have a couple sites that I check 3-4 times a month to see what is new out there. It's kind of sad how so many of the good archive sites have shut down though. Quite a few of the remaining sites are having find-a-fic forums for those oldie but goodie fics that people are just dying to re-read.

    I used to read Tyr/Beka (Andromeda) fanfic but that has pretty much died out. Favorite authors there were Tyka and Lucygram.

    Zoe I greatly enjoyed reading your stories Mated and Claimed this weekend. I bought them for the Kindle PC app which I am liking. Though I do like Adobe's reader app for the PC as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I know who all those Spuffy authors are except Richess.

    So glad you enjoyed Claimed and Mated.

    I wrote Spuffy as Zoegrace but took most of it down.

    ReplyDelete