Saturday, June 26, 2010

More on eBooks and their covers

I love twitter. It shows me fairly quickly that I am not the only one thinking of some of these issues. While I may come at most of my opinions from the view of a reader (who is slowly working on writing her own book), I enjoy reading blogs from people that are actually in the publishing business.

Such as Ivor Tossell's Globe and Mail article today.

I do firmly believe that e-books need good cover design. An interactive link to a dictionary for that word that you just can't understand in context. Even a hyperlink to the author (or publishers) website.

An interactive murder mystery would be extremely cool. Sort of an updated choose your own adventure. Sell the first chapter for 99 cents. At the end of each chapter your have 2-3 choices. If you choose the wrong choice but want to continue you have to buy the first chapter again. First person to correctly finish the book would win a prize. But, please don't attach video games to the story.

I have even noticed some authors are now having bands make music cds for their books. You can listen to the authors musical inspirations while reading your story. That could be a cool addition to a book if it came with the option to turn the music off when desired. Here you can use the two pronged marketing approach. Sell the band's music with "free" copy of the book or vice-versa.

Anyway it is already 60 degrees here and the day is to beautiful to be inside on the laptop. I am still pondering which e-reader to get. Love the battery life of the Kindle but love the color cover feature of the Nook. As much as I love book covers that may be the deciding factor. I can always recharge it in the car with an inverter.


Good Books, Good Wine, Good Friends What Could be Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment