Sunday, June 27, 2010

J.R. Rain and Peep Shows

I was....

At last count, I had 60 different jobs prior to writing full time. Probably my most interesting job was working as a squire at Medieval Times. Nothing says “manly” like running around in fake chainmail tights. Mostly, though, I worked as an insurance claims investigator and later as a private investigator.

I am....

My name’s J.R. Rain and I write mystery novels. Granted, my books are packaged to look like many different kinds of books, from supernatural romantic suspense to adventure thrillers, but at their very heart my books are always mystery novels first.

I will be....

...writing as many books as I possibly can. ;)

What prompted you to go back to some of your previous stories and redesign their covers?

My early covers were fairly pathetic, although I certainly did the best I could. (You can see an example of the first MOON DANCE cover on Amazon.com if you click on the “paperback” option.) Well, no one thing prompted me to redesign my covers, other my own driving need to put the best-looking product I could out there. Luckily, I came across a wonderful cover designer (Bren at bren@gotchacoveredbydesign.com), and she helped me find some book cover success. Hell, I would still be lost without her.

What issues have you had with the redesign?

Well, my cover designer and I work well together. I am open to her suggestions, and she’s quick to implement my ideas. I truly think that’s the best formula.

Did you design the covers yourself or hire a graphic designer?

I designed the covers to DARK HORSE and THE MUMMY CASE myself. Sometimes simple is best, especially for a murder mystery. But my paranormal mysteries needed some pop, and so that’s where I sought help. Bren happened to be a graphic design friend of mine who was looking to get into book covers--and I just happened to be a writer in search of a book cover designer. A match made in heaven!

How has this experience affected future cover designs that you are planning?

My future designs are up in the air. I suppose I should someday brand a style or a font for all my book covers, but I truly love having all my books look different. I like thinking that each cover is a minor work of art. So, to answer your question, my future plans are up in the air. Of course, when you work with a designer as awesome as Bren, well, there’s really very little to worry about.

I already know that the material that you write between the covers is great but other than word of mouth how do you promote your books to new readers?

I give live peep shows on the weekends. Kidding! (Or am I?) Well, I was on Amazon Kindle for over eight months before I started seeing any real success. I studied other successful writers and how they marketed their books and tried to emulate them. My best advice, though, is to think about following future market trends. If paranormals are hot, write one. If young adult romances are hot, then write one. Of course, put your own spin on the story and make it your own, but why not follow the hot trends? Doing so guarantees book sales. Oh, and publish your books ASAP on Kindle. I no longer even bother with the NY publishers. Tides are turning, and the new wave of publishing is ebooks. Surfs up.

Happy writing, and I wish you all a ton of success!

J.R. Rain

www.jrrain.com




Good Books, Good Wine, Good FriendsWhat Could be Better.

4 comments:

  1. J.R.

    I appreciate your blog post. The live peep show might be interesting.

    I greatly enjoyed Moon Dance. Though I am still trying to figure out which of your books made #1 in the erotic horror category...

    Looking forward to reading much more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how your cover art developed. Great synergy to cover great storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again.. if you want to expand your readership, why aren't your novels available on International kindle? Or at least for Australia - I never know if we are considered international or not :=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Инстраграмм остается самой популярной на данный момент площадкой для продвижения собственного бизнеса. Но, как показывает практика, люди еще чаще подписываются на профили в которых уже достаточное количество подписчиков. Если заниматься продвижение своими силами, потратить на это вы можете очень множество времени, поэтому гораздо лучше обратиться к спецам из Krutiminst.ru на сайт http://m.010-5027-8200.1004114.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=31&wr_id=103717

    ReplyDelete