Sunday, April 4, 2010

Book Club - April 4th 2010


Our goal for this evening was to read the first 8 chapters of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for tonight's meeting. Luckily that is only 36 pages. We all have lives and a couple of us are college students with a lot of other books on our to read list. 

We had a lively discussion based on some questions put together before hand.
  • How did the ladies describe Mr Bingley when they spied him from the window the first time?
  • How did Lady Lucas describe him?
  • From what you have seen of him so far what is your opinion of Mr. Darcy? (Forget the original book) How has he been described by the other characters?
  • What do the characters call the zombies? Do we know why this is?
  • How many variations of Elizabeth's name have we seen so far? How else is she referred to?
  • How many characters have we been introduced to so far? What are their names?
                (Hint: We came up with 23)
  • What fighting styles have been mentioned so far?
               (Hint: We came up with 5)

We also did an activity where we each re-wrote the notes on page 25 and 26 using more modern language.

Here are the original notes:

The first note is to Miss Jane Bennett from Miss Caroline Bingley

MY DEAR FRIEND,
If you are not so compassionate as to dine to-day with Louisa and me,
we shall be in danger of hating each other for the rest of our lives,
for a whole day's tete-a-tete between two women can never end without
a quarrel. Come as soon as you can on receipt of this, provided the
road is free of the unmentionable menace. My brother and the gentlemen
are to dine with the officers.
Yours ever,
CAROLINE BINGLEY

This second note is from Miss Jane Bennett to her sister Miss Elizabeth Bennett

MY DEAREST LIZZY,
I find myself very unwell this morning, which, I suppose, is to be
imputed to my being set upon by several freshly unearthed
unmentionables during my ride to Netherfield. My kind friends will
not hear of my returning till I am better. They insist also on my
seeing Mr. Jones-therefore do not be alarmed if you should hear of
his having been to me-and, excepting a few bruises and a minor
stab wound, there is not . much the matter with me.
YOURS, ETC.


How would you write either/both of those messages today? Feel free to add yours into the comment thread where ours will be going.

I chose Jargon 2006 Pinot Noir for tonights meeting because what better wine could I have picked to start this book club with. Jargon noun - any talk or writing that one does not understand. Our goal with this book club is to gain a better understanding of some of the books that we read.

It gets even better. When I went to Jargon Wines home page they had this lovely little question. "Have you ever found yourself in the wine aisle, paralyzed, practically zombified by all of the choices, fancy packaging, critics’ ratings and pretentious wine-speak?"

Personally I am not a huge fan of red wines. This one had me pouring a second glass. I will be re-stocking it in my wine rack the next chance I get.

None of us ladies claim to be experts on either wine or literature we're just going to tell you what we like or don't like as the case may be. This is our twice a month meeting where it is okay to show up in sweats and no makeup and just be ourselves.

Two weeks ago when we discussed setting up a book club we had Pure Evil Chardonnay (link not available at this time) and Vampire  Cabernet Sauvignon wines. I don't remember the years but if I find out I will update this. (Sorry Michelle the Chardonnay really is out of stock if I find it somewhere I will let you know.)

My two favorite places to get wine in Boise are CostPlus World Market  and the Boise Co-Op.  Both of these locations have an excellent selection and CostPlus seems to get the Vampire and Evil wines in for Halloween.  Tip: Start asking early when they will be getting the shipments in.  The Vampire wine disappears from their shelves quickly.

The ladies that drank the wine this evening promised to put their thoughts in the comment section below.

For our next meeting we are reading through chapter 22. We will also be writing  2-3 quotes on 3x5 cards. (quote on the front, speaker and page number on the backside)

Good Books, Good Wine, Good Friends
What Could be Better.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Jane,

    If you don't have dinner with Louisa and I, we shall have to start a horrific feud, for conversation between two girls can never end without a fight. Come as soon as you get this as long as there's not any zombies waiting to eat your brains out. My brother and the res of the guys will be eating with the soldiers.

    Lots of Love XOXO
    Caroline

    ___________________________________

    Lizzy,

    I feel disgustingly sick today, which could be because of the disturbingly gross fight with some baby zombies YURK!! The nosy overbearing neighbors won't even consider letting me go home till I'm not coughing up my lungs. They also insist on me seeing Mr. Jones so don't freak out if you hear that he is here. I'm perfectly fine except for some bruises....and a stab wound no worries.

    Your Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Love,

    It's ladies night at my place. Two of us alone will cause a cat fight. Come join us if the zombies aren't to much hassle.

    The men are all out barhopping.

    Me

    ___________________________________

    Lizzy,

    I encountered zombies last night. I'm alright but between them and the rain I'm just a tad under the weather. The group insists I stay here and that Doc Jones has a look. They are just worrying overmuch. I'll see you when I get home.

    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Girl...Come hang with Lou and me and have a girls day. The boys R out. (LOL) Text me back!

    _____________________________________

    Hey sis...Not feeling well. Got attacked by Zombies on the way to Bingles. They are keeping me here until I am feeling better. Donn't be worried I am fine although I did get banged up and shanked...Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jane,

    I would like to invite you over for dinner and I think it'd be really rude if you don't come it might be the end of our friendship if you don't accept my offer.
    RSVP ASAP. Hopefully the roads will be safe. By the way, my brother won't be there.

    Thnx!

    Caroline
    ___________________________________

    Hey Lizzy,

    I'm not feeling well this morning. On my way over here I fought several unmentionables. It got rough. Caroline and the others insist that I stay here and rest until I feel better. They want a dr to attend to me, which is slightly unneccessary

    (Heart) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY DEAR FRIEND,

    I'M IN NEED OF YOU TO COME TO DINE WITH LOUISA AND ME. IF YOU DON'T I THINK WE'LL HATE EACH OTHER FOREVER. I HOPE YOU CAN COME SOON. MY BROTHER WONT BE HERE HE'LL BE WITH THE OFFICERS.

    YOURS EVER
    CAROLINE BINGLEY

    ___________________________________

    MY DEAREST LIZZY

    I'M SICK, BECAUSE OF THE ROAD I'VE BEEN TRAVELING. MY FRIENDS WON'T LET ME RETURN UNTIL I'M BETTER. THEY WANT ME TO SEE MR. JONES - DON'T BE UPSET BY IT. BESIDES ALL THE FLESH WOUNDS THERES'S NOT MUCH WRONG WITH ME.

    YOURS ETC.

    ReplyDelete